Request a Service Academy Nomination
The Nomination Process
To be considered for an appointment to a service academy, an applicant must meet the eligibility requirements established by law and be nominated from an authorized person including a member of the United States Senate or the House of Representatives.
Each member of Congress is allowed just five individuals enrolled in a particular Academy at any given time. Senator Franken will nominate ten individuals per open slot at each Academy. Each Academy then appoints the nominees who fulfill their admission requirements.
Eligibility for Nominations
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1 of the year of admission to a service academy:
- Must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday. Exception: The Merchant Marine Academy applicant must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 25th birthday.
- Must be a U.S. citizen. You must submit proof of citizenship if you were foreign born or naturalized.
- Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- Must be a resident of Minnesota.
- Must be of good character, academic, leadership, physical, and medical fitness.
Timeline for Senator Franken's Application Process
- June 2015: Online application and information packet available via the Senator's web page
- Friday, October 30, 2015 (5:00 pm Central): Application Deadline.
- Saturday, November (TBD), 2015: Academy Interview Day TBD.
- December 2015 to January 2016: Academy Coordinator finalizes Senator Franken's nominations by working in conjunction with other Minnesota Congressional offices to ensure duplicate nominations are not made.
- Late January to mid-February 2016: Nomination notification letters (both pro and con) are mailed to applicants
- Check List (PDF) - Please include this sheet with your application
- Application Form (PDF) - Please ensure that the form is neatly filled out and completed in ink or type.
- Current Resume and Picture - Picture should show applicant's face and be no smaller than 1" by 1".
- 1-2 Page Essay - In a clear and concise manner, explain why you want to attend a military academy and what this has to do with your future goals and the goals of the United States Military.
- Transcripts - Please send all high school and (if available) college transcripts.
- Appropriate Test Scores (SAT or ACT) - When taking the ACT tests, applicants can request that results be sent directly to my office by using ACT code 7146 and SAT code 6179.
- Three Letters of Recommendation - Ask your guidance counselor, high school principal, or a teacher to write a letter of recommendation letter on your behalf. Your other two letters may be written by an acquaintance, but not by a family member. It is highly recommended that your guidance counselor/principal/ teacher letter focus on academics while your remaining two letters focus on character and leadership, respectively.
To apply for a nomination from Senator Franken, send your completed application (PDF) and the other materials listed above to Senator Al Franken, Attn. Nominations Coordinator, 60 Plato Boulevard East, Suite 220, St. Paul, MN 55107 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sen. Franken is currently accepting applications for the academy classes entering in the summer of 2016 and graduating in 2020. Please note that students are required to begin the application process with the academies themselves before being considered for a nomination to that academy.
The final step of the Congressional Nomination process is an in-person interview at or near the Senator’s St. Paul office. All interviews will be conducted on one Saturday in November and all applicants who complete their applications by the deadline will be invited for an interview; service academy alumni and official Senate staff will interview the candidates. The Senator and his selection committee will make final selections and notify nominees in late-January to mid-February 2016.
Applicants will be subjected to a “whole-person” approach during their interview session. Applicants are expected to speak fluently about their character, scholarship, motivation, physical fitness, extra-curricular activity, and leadership abilities.
If you have any questions about Senator Franken’s academy nominations process, please do not hesitate to call our St. Paul office at (651) 221-1016 and ask to speak to his nominations coordinator.
Service Academy Links